[RNLD] Re: How many hours of recorded speech? - more context

Warner, Natasha - (nwarner) nwarner at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Aug 28 14:52:26 UTC 2012

Yes, doing documentation during master-apprentice activities could be a great way to get a lot more natural interaction documented, without taking time away from creating more fluent speakers.  Since master-apprentice can buy a language several more decades under the right circumstances, and includes natural interaction in daily activities by definition, that could help a lot.

Good luck,
Natasha Warner

Natasha Warner, Professor
Dept. of Linguistics, Box 210028
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0028
USA
520-626-5591

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] on behalf of Claire Bowern [clairebowern at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:46 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] [RNLD] Re: How many hours of recorded speech? - more context

Hi Lindsay,
Since your speakers are already in high demand, is there a way to
integrate recording with the activities they are already doing? For
example, recording master-apprentice tasks might be a great way to get
recordings of the language of everyday activities without putting an
extra burden on speakers. Also, if they are in high demand, maybe they
would appreciate some weekends away together where they could talk to
each other in the language without a lot of researchers and others
around (except the person operating the recording equipment)?
If I remember right from CoLang, there's already quite a lot of
linguist-oriented documentary materials for your language. So maybe
the way to set priorities and targets would be to identify a bunch of
activities that the language team would like to be able to discuss in
the language. Then you could say something like "We are done with this
project when we have enough recordings that someone who wanted to talk
about X, Y, and Z would have the vocabulary and grammar to do so."
That's pretty vague, but it would give you an idea. To take a small
example, if I want to order a take-away pizza over the phone, there
are some words and grammar constructions that i need to know (e.g.
'pizza', some types of pizza, I need to give my address and phone
number, ask how much it is, when it will arrive, whether I want garlic
bread and drinks, etc).
Claire