How many hours of recorded speech? - more context

BSantaMaria bernisantamaria at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 28 17:52:02 UTC 2012

As a fluent speaker and being able to interact daily with relatives and
others in our language (but not with many youngr speakers), I agree that
daily conversational knowledge is key to learning a language but aside from
the considerations the amount of conversations are the important ones of
learning other aspects of speaking a native language.  With ours and
probably others, the gender (& sometime whether elder or younger) of the
speaker makes a difference in the ways they use language and I don't know
whether those speech decisions would come across specifically in daily
conversations especially to a "non-fluent ear".  This is where a fluent
speaker's input might be of assistance in reviewing the conversations for
these nuanced differences in speech patterns between both genders. There
are some ways of speaking that mainly older people use in our language too
and those are usually in reference to dispensing cultural knowledge,
descriptions of sacred knowledge, sacred stories/narrations, songs, etc.
In another way, a learner cannot just take a word from hearing an elder
talking about certain topics and use it in every day language even if it
seems apt, thereby, the "insider's" fluency and knowledge also makes a
difference.

Just a few thoughts that might assist you in your important work and I'll
be interested in seeing other commentary on these issues.

Bernadette A. SantaMaria
Cultural Advisory Board Member
White Mountain Apache Tribe
Fort Apache, AZ