Learning in Two Languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Dec 4 22:16:36 UTC 2012

*Learning in Two Languages*

By Sophie Evan, KYUK - Bethel | December 3, 2012 - 5:28 pm
US

Early in our series “Being Young in Rural Alaska” from the producers of
Kids These Days, we learned about efforts to re-introduce indigenous
languages through school programs.  At the Lower Kuskokwim School District,
they have a different challenge: figuring out the best way to teach reading
and writing to kids who are already living in two languages.  LKSD is the
heart of Yup’ik country. One quarter of the certified teachers are Yup’ik,
the greatest percentage of indigenous educators of any district in Alaska.
The district is rolling out a new method for teaching its bilingual
students called the dual language model.

Access full article below:
http://www.alaskapublic.org/2012/12/03/learning-in-two-languages/