Songs of renewal (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Dec 30 16:45:45 UTC 2012

**
*Songs of renewal*
*Date**December 29, 2012*
*Kath Dolan
*
*
*

*Article Quote:*

*
*

*Dirtsong* takes performers and audiences on a journey through country that
focuses attention on what connects rather than divides. Bennett, who is
part-way through a PhD on Aboriginal language retrieval at RMIT, says the
unique songwriting process behind the production feels profoundly positive.
''Our languages have been decimated …'' she says.

''We weren't allowed to speak our languages under law. I believe if we are
able to retrieve our languages, that we have another vehicle for healing -
for all Australians, not just for Aboriginal Australians. Language is such
a powerful thing. I don't think people give it enough credit for … how it
holds things together … .''

Read more:
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/songs-of-renewal-20121228-2byjd.html#ixzz2GYR3Ap7E