Menominee Language Controversy (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Feb 1 20:21:23 UTC 2012

Menominee Language Controversy

By Cassandra Duvall
CREATED JAN. 31, 2012 - UPDATED: JAN. 31, 2012
USA

Shawano, WI – A Shawano family say they’re extremely upset by the way
officials at Sacred Heart Catholic School treated their daughter. They
say their 7th grader was unfairly benched from her basketball game two
weeks ago, to punish her for using the Menominee language at school.

“It means I love you,” said 12-year old Miranda Washinawatok. She’s
explaining the phrases she and two other girls were sharing in the
Menominee language when she got into trouble with her teacher.

"She sort of threw her hands down on her desk and said don't be
talking like that. How would you like it if I started talking Polish?"
recalled Miranda.

And later that afternoon, Miranda's mother Tanaes was told her
daughter would not be allowed to play in the January 19 game.

Access full article below:
http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/138452384.html