Australia's story in Indigenous languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Feb 14 17:54:51 UTC 2012

Australia's story in Indigenous languages

Brian McCoy February 12, 2012
AUS

'Where is the parish priest?' I asked the young girl sitting on the
ground with her friends outside the parish house. I had just arrived
in a remote Aboriginal community along with a colleague and was not
sure where we were staying.

I will never forget the look that came upon her face. She seemed
stunned as my question registered. I had asked her in her local
language. Just a simple question. But that a white person, a visitor,
might address her in her own language seemed the last thing she had
expected.

Access full article below:
http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=29999