Fwd: Localisation team of the Wikimedia Foundation

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jan 19 19:28:27 UTC 2012

fwd msg (with permission for Rudy).

----- Forwarded message from osamadre at hotmail.com -----
   Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:18:06 -0700
   From: Leigh Thelmadatter <osamadre at hotmail.com>
   Subject: Localisation team of the Wikimedia Foundation
   To: rtroike at email.arizona.edu

I know I talk incessantly about Wikipedia :D but I really do believe in it,
especially for the long term. You are probably aware of the effects the
"blackout" had yesterday politically in the US.  Wikipedia is a force to
contend with that is shaping our reality.

I was just chatting with Gerard Meijssen, who works with the Localisation Team
for the Wikimedia Foundation. This is a group specifically dedicated to
adapting Wikipedia's technology to the many languages of the world, especially
in what they call the "Global South."
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Localisation_team While they have good
technical support, they do need better linguistic support. This could be a very
good opportunity for students in linguistic master's and doctorate programs who
have technological inclinations or for those who work with lesser known
languages to get international exposure.

Id like to suggest getting in contact with Gerard at gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
to check out what's going on!

Leigh