Native American Languages Could Count For Class Credit (fwd link)

Marnie Atkins marnie.atkins at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 19 22:08:35 UTC 2012

He'ba'lo' All,

I know this is happening at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.
 Sahaptin is taught (http://wla.uoregon.edu/sahaptin.html) as a regular
course and Lushootseed and Tolowa Dee-ni' are taught as Self-study language
classes.  All three are offered through the World Languages Academy.  At
this time, Sahaptin does qualify for the "foreign language" (can you hear
the sarcasm as I type?) requirement for undergraduates.

Further, the Yurok language has been offered at Humboldt State University
in the past.  However, I'm not sure if it qualifies for satisfying the
"foreign language" requirement.  Maybe someone else knows?

Does anyone know of other K-12, colleges, or universities that offer Native
American languages that satisfy the "foreign language" requirement for
students?  If so, please share.

Čawokš,
Marnie