Native American Languages Could Count For Class Credit (fwd link)

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Thu Jan 19 22:41:38 UTC 2012

We did this for Aymara from 1969-1990 -- 21 years -- & I believe we were the
first.  Aymara counted to fulfill foreign language requirements for those
programs that had such requirements and was a regular college language
course.  And now we don't.  MJ

On 1/19/12 3:40 PM, "Phillip E Cash Cash" <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
wrote:

> Native American Languages Could Count For Class Credit
>
> By Carol Berry January 19, 2012
> USA
>
> Goodbye, French and German. Hello, Dine, Lakota and other Native
> American languages‹with some qualifications.
>
> Under a proposed new program in Colorado, European and Asian tongues
> would remain options for foreign language credit in high school, but
> Native languages from federally recognized tribes could also be
> offered for that purpose.
>
> The plan is described in a bill filed January 13 for submission to the
> Colorado General Assembly by Sen. Suzanne Williams (D-Aurora), a
> member of the Comanche Nation, and co-sponsor Sen. J. Paul Brown
> (R-Ignacio).
>
> Access full article below:
> http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/01/19/native-american-languages
> -could-count-for-class-credit-73223

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor of Linguistics and Anthropology
Department of Linguistics
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/