eBook creation software

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Fri Jan 20 23:24:38 UTC 2012

Thanks.  Well said.  I am putting my stuff in an electronic form because I
know that when I go the paper will be tossed, at the same time knowing that
the electronic version may very likely be unreadable within half a decade,
where the paper, if keep, could last centuries.  Between a rock and a hard
place.  MJ

On 1/20/12 10:24 AM, "Richard Zane Smith" <rzs at WILDBLUE.NET> wrote:

> so..............
>

> every human being should have an iphone
> every human being should have an ebook
> every human being should have a facebook account
> every human being should have an automobile
>
> teyeterih (i don't know)
>
> amidst the celebration of cool tools... is anyone thinking about
> the cost to the earth  and how human minds WILL BE altered by this stuff?
> do we see our children now having "NEEDS" we never even thought about?
> are we getting the languages back at the very risk of ripping away
> the very cultural moorings from which these languages are imbedded?
> cultural paradigms that are the antithesis of such conquest-based
>  extravagance?
>
> will a line ever be drawn? enough is enough? are we addicted to the "new?"
> whatever high tech tool, we hold today will be trashed in 5 years.
> Is this really what our ancestors taught us? where is the balance?
>
> teyeterih
>
> ske;noh
> Richard
>

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> In Australia current terminology is more around digital inclusion and
>> digital exclusion (in the context of civil society, e-Democracy and
>> egovernment) rather than digital divide and has more to do with
>>
>> Although interestingly most recent discussions around factors that
>> cause digital exclusion that are occurring in Australia exclude
>> language as an exclusion factor.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Cunningham
>> Senior Project Manager, Research and Development
>> Vicnet
>> State Library of Victoria
>> Australia
>>
>> andrewc at vicnet.net.au
>> lang.support at gmail.com

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor of Linguistics and Anthropology
Department of Linguistics
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/