Who We Are: Oneidas fight to save their culture (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Jul 29 16:48:55 UTC 2012

*Who We Are: Oneidas fight to save their culture
*
By KESHIA CLUKEY
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 02:30 PM

ONEIDA — Mary Blau has an important task: Ensuring the survival of her
culture.

A member of the Oneida Indian Nation, and part of the Turtle Clan, Blau,
54, is the last person in her family to carry on the bloodline.

“The lineage goes through your mother’s side,” Blau said. “I didn’t marry a
native.”

Though she’s lived in the Nation her whole life, Blau didn’t grow up
learning about her background.

“The Elders were discouraged to speak in school,” she said. The language
then skipped a generation, as parents tried to help their children
assimilate to mainstream culture.

Access full article below:
http://www.uticaod.com/features/x1791375897/Who-We-Are-Oneidas-fight-to-save-their-culture