Language council seen as hope for Native culture (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 12 17:49:55 UTC 2012

Language council seen as hope for Native culture

By Pat Forgey
Morris News Service -- Alaska, Juneau Empire

A new Alaska Native Language Council has the potential to bring threatened
languages back from the brink of extinction, say experts in the field.

"Our hope is that we can really create living languages, and advocate for
the importance of the languages," said Lance Twitchell, an assistant
professor of Alaska Native languages at the University of Alaska Southeast.

Alaska's Native languages are in various states of decline, with only about
200 fluent Tlingit speakers left, while there are more than 10,000 speakers
of Central Yup'ik.

Access full article below:
http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2012-06-11/language-council-seen-as-hope-for-native-culture