The Surui Cultural Map (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 19 03:58:34 UTC 2012

The Surui Cultural
Map<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/surui-cultural-map.html>
 June 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
US
   *This week we're at Rio+20, the United Nations Conference on Sustainable
Development <http://www.uncsd2012.org/>. We**'re sharing a series of posts
about our activities at the conference **on the Green
Blog<http://googlegreenblog.blogspot.com/>;
in this cross-post we've gone into more detail about one announcement
taking place there. -Ed.*

This week at the Rio+20 conference, the Surui tribe of the Brazilian
Amazon<http://www.paiter.org/>are launching their Surui Cultural Map
on Google Earth. This represents the
culmination of a unique five-year collaboration between the Surui people
and Google, which began in June 2007 when Chief Almir Surui first visited
Google<http://google-latlong.blogspot.com.br/2007/06/trading-bow-and-arrow-for-laptop.html>and
proposed a partnership. The story of that visit, and the remarkable
project that followed, are told in a new short documentary also launching
here at Rio+20:* “Trading Bows and Arrows for Laptops: Carbon and Culture.”

*Access full article below:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/surui-cultural-map.html