Island takes centre stage in battle to save languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Jun 22 14:20:10 UTC 2012

Island takes centre stage in battle to save languages

BY JACK KNOX, TIMES COLONIST JUNE 22, 2012 6:19 AM
Victoria, CAN

A few years ago, up in Alert Bay, a woman taught me a phrase of Kwak'wala
with which to impress my wife.

So, when Dr. Romance here got home, he decided to try it out. "Qwallayuw,"
I told my beloved. "It's a term of endearment, means, 'You're my reason for
being.'"

"Whatever," she replied. Perhaps it lost something in translation.

Languages are nuanced that way, which is what makes it so sad when one
disappears. It's like closing the curtains on a window offering a different
view of the world.

Read more:
http://www.timescolonist.com/life/Island+takes+centre+stage+battle+save+languages/6824099/story.html#ixzz1yX286qic