=?windows-1252?Q?=93Literacy_Makes_You_Lazy=94=3A_?=Saving End angered Lan guages (fwd link)

Evan Gardner evan at WHEREAREYOURKEYS.ORG
Tue Jun 26 17:44:52 UTC 2012

Hello All,

Evan from "Where Are Your Keys?"

We have a technique called "speak to remember, write to forget".

It is a pretty general way of saying your language will live if it is
spoken... so speak it.

If the same amount of time were spent creating speakers then we wouldn't
have to write anything down. We would just speak and live. Knowledge would
just live within individuals and communities.

I am in no way against writing. I have just seen that writing is not the
easiest point of entry for two year olds. If adults learn by writing then
they will try to teach by writing. Why not teach in the same way you would
want the adults teaching the children. Train the adults to teach children
by teaching the adults to speak.

It does seam like a bit of work to get speaking but with clever curriculum
organization speaking can happen in minutes. Then no one has to memorize
anything. Language flows through the mind and into the community.

My 2 cents

I am enjoying the conversation as usual.

Thanks