Amazing =?Windows-1252?Q?=91talking=92_?=dictionary project helps preserve Ojibwe language (fwd link)

dzo at BISHARAT.NET dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Thu Mar 29 11:37:21 UTC 2012

Quick aside: I remember the prof of my first anthropology class, Emily Ahern, mentioning fiction along with anthro as another way to learn about cultures. Obviously deeper study requires method, but as we see here, even popular literature may have value in this regard.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From:         Phillip E Cash Cash <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
Sender:       Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:46:34
To: <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Subject: [ILAT] Amazing ‘talking’ dictionary project helps prese rve Ojibwe language (fwd link)

Amazing ‘talking’ dictionary project helps preserve Ojibwe language

By Cynthia Boyd | 08:29 am
USA

There are many pathways to knowledge, including popular fiction.

So I’ll admit unabashedly that my enticing introduction to some of
Minnesota’s Ojibwe language comes not from a history text but from Cork
O’Connor, lead character in some of local author William Kent Krueger’s
best-selling novels. O’Connor, a detective, is both Irish and Ojibwe.

I’m captivated especially by the Ojibwe’s spiritual practices and their
reverence of nature.

Yet I’ve wondered often how the Ojibwe words sprinkled through his books
sound.

Now, thanks to an amazing project in progress at the University of
Minnesota and spearheaded by their Department of American Indian Studies,
there’s a new online resource called “The Ojibwe Peoples Dictionary”  that
opens doors to the sounds and context of the indigenous Ojibwe language and
will help preserve it. The dictionary officially launches with a
celebration event from  4 p.m. to 6 p.m. April 2 at the McNamara Alumni
Center’s Maroon and Gold room at the University in Minneapolis.

Access full article below:
http://www.minnpost.com/community-sketchbook/2012/03/amazing-%E2%80%98talking%E2%80%99-dictionary-project-helps-preserve-ojibwe-language