Honoring our elders, establishing our traditions (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri May 11 19:07:57 UTC 2012

Honoring our elders, establishing our traditions

By XH'UNEI -- LANCE TWITCHELL
FOR THE JUNEAU EMPIRE
US

Last week I was blessed with the opportunity to watch the Children’s
Celebration take place in Centennial Hall. I sat next to my clan grandson
Kingheestí, and near many of my favorite people in the world who are
working tirelessly to revitalize our Tlingit language. There were many
times when I looked up at the stage to see a young boy or girl speaking
Tlingit, singing in Tlingit, and I watched through unabashed tears of joy.
And in many of those moments, those around me were doing the same. We would
laugh loudly because something wonderful was happening. This is what we
have been fighting for, and now we are beginning to realize the
possibilities.

Access full article below:
http://juneauempire.com/art/2012-05-10/honoring-our-elders-establishing-our-traditions