Okinawans push to preserve unique language

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 20 01:55:47 UTC 2012

Taanshi, hello, all,

For a more in depth interview/article with/on Fija Byron (Yes, this is the
correct spelling.), please see:

http://japanfocus.org/-Fija-Bairon/2586

 *“Wanne Uchinanchu – I am Okinawan.” Japan, the US and Okinawa’s
Endangered Languages*

*Fija Bairon and Patrick Heinrich *

*
*

*Patrick Heinrich interviews Fija Bairon on Okinawa’s endangered languages
and culture, and efforts to restore them.*

The proportion of languages and of nation states stands roughly at a
relation of 1 to 30. Hence, the predominant number of nation states is
multilingual. Japan, notwithstanding its modern monolingual
self-perception, is no exception. As with many other nation states,
Japanhas merely been invented as an “imagined community” of
monolingual and
monocultural members. The effects of monolingual and monocultural nation
imagining are far-reaching for linguistic and cultural minorities, in Japan
as in many other places across the world. For minorities, modernisation and
incorporation often went hand in hand with pressures to abandon local
languages and cultures. Monolingual nation-imagining ideology is one of the
major forces behind the unprecedented loss of linguistic diversity we are
witnessing today. Experts project that only 10-15% of the world's 6,000
languages are safe from extinction. In Japan, the Ainu languages, the
Ryukyuan languages and Ogasawara-Creole English are extremely endangered
while Japanese and Japanese sign language are safe. Many minority community
members are aware of such “dark sides of modernity.” In this article
Okinawan language and cultural activist Fija Bairon speaks on the discovery
of his Okinawan identity and on his attempts to maintain and revitalize
Uchinaguchi, one of five Ryukyuan languages. An introduction addresses
issues of Ryukyuan language endangerment and the local attempts of language
revitalization.

 Read full article at: http://japanfocus.org/-Fija-Bairon/2586