NG Explorers Help Record =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CHizzle=E2=80=9D_?=Language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue May 22 21:46:18 UTC 2012

NG Explorers Help Record “Hizzle” Language

Posted by Andrew Howley on May 21, 2012

The Enduring Voices Project strives to preserve endangered languages by
identifying language hotspots—the places on our planet with the most
unique, poorly understood, or threatened indigenous languages—and
documenting the languages and cultures within them.

By Gregory Anderson of the Enduring Voices Project

The 2012 Enduring Voices expedition to the Siberia Language Hotspot has
allowed us to explore the current state of the Xyzyl (pronounced hizzle)
language from the Republic of Xakasia (pronounced ha-KAH-see-ya, also
spelled “Khakasiya”).

We traveled across the birch-covered hills of southern Siberia and into the
wind-swept steppe dotted with ancient burial mounds until we reached the
Xyzyl territory northwest of Mongolia. We visited five villages and
identified fifty to sixty total speakers and semi-speakers.

Access full article below:
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/05/21/ng-explorers-help-record-hizzle-language/