Indigenous Focus: Positive News for Indigenous Languages in Chile (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed May 30 21:22:06 UTC 2012

Indigenous Focus: Positive News for Indigenous Languages in Chile

Written by Laura Seelau & Ryan Seelau on May 26, 2012.

In January of this year, we reported on a major study undertaken in Chile
reporting that less than 11 percent of indigenous people in Chile can both
speak and understand their native languages. The study raised some serious
concerns about whether Chile’s indigenous languages are facing extinction
in the near future. In addition, we have written on multiple occasions
about efforts being taken to improve the situation of indigenous languages
within the country, and this week brought some more positive news.

Access full article below:
http://ilovechile.cl/2012/05/26/indigenous-focus-positive-news-indigenous-languages-chile/57320