First Nations working to keep indigenous languages alive among youth (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Nov 7 15:48:34 UTC 2012

Languages dry up like rain puddles on black top under a hot sun.
Small puddles vanish first, the bigger ones shrinking fast.
The biggest puddles seem enduring - but only by comparison.
What worries me is that so many of our own indigenous speakers
just get busy with life without a care in the world
because back home grandma still speaks the language.

-Richard

--

 *For it hath ever been the use of the conqueror to despise the language of
the conquered and to force him by all means to learn his. - Edmund

richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*