New technologies to revive Indigenous languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Nov 7 16:19:18 UTC 2012

*New technologies to revive Indigenous languages*

Margaret Paul
November 05, 2012 10:50:05
AUS

It's hoped a smartphone application will help revive an Indigenous language
in far west New South Wales.

The Menindee Central School is developing an iPad app featuring hundreds of
words in Paakantyi.

Only a handful of people speak Paakantyi fluently, and language assistant,
Kayleen Kerwin, says she hopes the app will help the language survive.

"I know my voice is going to be there recorded when I'm long gone off this
planet," she said.

"That'll be something to live on at the school for future generations."

Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-05/new-technologies-to-revive-indigenous-languages/4353136/?site=indigenous&topic=latest