music and language

Dave Pearson Dave_Pearson at SIL.ORG
Wed Nov 14 22:23:10 UTC 2012

SIL’s EthnoArts consultants study the interaction of language with various arts, including music. You can watch a 5-minute video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_H-DPN9yik

Dave Pearson

SIL International

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Phillip E Cash Cash
Sent: 14 November 2012 14:19
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] music and language

Greetings ILAT,

I recently saw an amazing video showing Gabby Giffords the Arizona Congresswoman recovering from her brain injury stemming from a bullet that passed thru the left side of her brain.  The video describes how she was able to regain her speech thru music thus demonstrating quite effectively the neurological link between music and language learning.

http://youtu.be/ndNn3Ucxt5k

I just wanted to post the video simply to spark some conversation on the topic of music & language.  If it is a new idea or if you simply want to see music being put into action please take a look at the video.  For some of you, I'm sure this will be quite familiar.

Phil

UofA