music and language

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Thu Nov 15 14:41:16 UTC 2012

When I have taught Jaqaru and also when teaching the teachers music,
especially huaynos, have been the most popular readding material ‹ and
producing orally.  That and riddles.  Both children and teachers do not find
these hard to write, either.  I had always thought of it has being know
discourse forms.  Texts seem more difficult.  We hae some of them posted on
our website, though not with the music,
http://txupi.wordpress.com/jaqar-qillqnushstaki/jaqar-qillqnushstaki-to-read
-jaqaru-para-leer-jaqaru/txupi-wordpress-comjaraw2006/  ;
http://txupi.wordpress.com/jaqar-qillqnushstaki/jaqar-qillqnushstaki-to-read
-jaqaru-para-leer-jaqaru/.  [Now that I look, the ones from 2006 appear to
be missing ‹ in the update of the site doubtless; one more thing on the Œto
do¹ list!!]  I started having the children write these whe I taught in the
school in the 80s; two of these riddles are on
http://www.latam.ufl.edu/hardman/jaqaru/jaqaru.htm together with a huayno
that Dr. Bautista wrote.    The most popular primers are precisely the ones
with words for huaynos ‹ and these anyone can sing ‹ and riddles.  I¹m
finding this thread interesting.  Both music and active participation.  Both
reading and writing, creatively.

MJ

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor Emeritus