Fight to save indigenous languages topic of summit (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Nov 16 19:07:26 UTC 2012

*Fight to save indigenous languages topic of summit
*
11:30 PM, Nov 15, 2012
US

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — The founder of a nonprofit organization dedicated
to promoting the Lakota language says the alcoholism, high suicide rates
and rampant drug use plaguing young people on South Dakota's Pine Ridge
Indian Reservation stem from a lack of identity and a loss of culture.

Those troubling issues are what inspired Mike Carlow to create Tusweca
Tiospaye, which hosts an annual summit focused on revitalizing tribal
languages. This year's event is to run from Thursday to Saturday in Rapid
City.

"I associate a lot of the social problems today, especially with our youth
— the gangs, alcohol and drug abuse, drop-out rates, suicide rates — I
associate those things with a lack of identity, a loss of culture, loss of
language, loss of traditions," Carlow said. "And so I created this
organization to kind of combat all of those things — to bring our language
and culture back to our youth and hopefully create better lives for them as
well."

Access full article below:
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20121115/NEWS01/311150043/Fight-save-indigenous-languages-topic-summit?nclick_check=1