music and language

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sun Nov 18 00:44:05 UTC 2012

I have no intention to redirect the topic. But Uncle Rolland's
words reminded me of an inglorious past that I'd like to share. This
happened more than 25 years ago, when I was of the elementary school age
in Taiwan learning English. I, and many other kids in my generation
growing up at that time, learned English by counting "little Indians"
through the infamous nursery rhymes (the preferred variety in Taiwan is
American English). The learning was certainly effective, as the song is
still stuck in my head almost three decades later...

Chun (Jimmy)
Huang

UOG

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:57:49 -0500, Rolland Nadjiwon
wrote:

> Berni SantaMaria...thank you so much for your words...your
reference is to a very interesting and worthy exchange of ideas and
thoughts...megwetch everyone. I can use a lot of those discussions. I
used music and poetry in a non-English first nation community in 1966 to
learn English. It worked very well...maybe too well in retrospect.

wahjeh
> rolland nadjiwon
>
> "Sometimes I lie
awake at night, and ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
> Then a voice says
to me, "This is going to take more than one night."