BBC News: Enforced Adoptions

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 21 22:13:01 UTC 2012

Some may find this of interest...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20404764
Native Americans recall era of forced adoptions

In the decades after World War II hundreds of Native American children in
the US were taken from their communities and given to white families
through adoption or foster care.

The idea behind the Indian Adoption Project was to help them assimilate
into "white culture" and live what authorities viewed to be a safer and
happier life.

Denise Altvater, from the Passamaqoddy tribe in Maine, was removed from her
family and adopted when she was seven years old.

"All of us, who have been taken away from our homes as children, still as
adults, we don't feel like we have a place where we belong," she says.

In 1978, the Indian Child Welfare Act was passed to protect children and
tribal communities. However, even in 2003 there were more than three times
as many Native American children in foster care, per capita, compared to
"Euro-American" children, according to the last available study.

Maine's child welfare services and tribes are launching a truth and
reconciliation process this week. A group of five commissioners will listen
to families and child welfare workers to compile the stories of those
affected and help deal with their trauma.