Scottish Black Isle dialect silenced forever as last native speaker dies aged 92

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Mon Oct 8 18:40:09 UTC 2012

Thanks Maya,
We all know what they are kinda trying to say....BUT its insulting to those
of us learning and teaching
languages that were declared "Dead" or "Extinct" and we still read that
stuff,even as preschoolers
are hurting our ears  shouting their "extinct" phrases.

There's an odd western cultural phenomenon (maybe inherited from Rome via
the Greeks?)
this glorifying tragedy and recreating a kind of head shaking artificial
sorrow about  "the last of the.................."
Perhaps when we feel this cheaper variety of "sorrow" we feel we've
"grieved," done our job, and can move on.
Seems it's inherent within "Anchor News". Just nothing like our daily
inoculation of "tragedy" to make us feel better.
-Richard

--

 "…revitalizing our language is really just an act of returning to what we
are supposed to be. It is like a fish returning to the water, breathing and

richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*