Publication on Language Change in the Caribbean

Daniel Hieber dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 20:04:15 UTC 2012

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to review this book before
publication. It is an excellent, detailed look at the everyday family and
community dynamics that have led to language shift in Dominica, based on
the author's extensive fieldwork there. She describes how children in the
community have continued to socialize each other in the heritage language
during their play sessions, despite the fact that their parents refuse to
speak the language to them and even reprimand them for speaking it. I'd
highly recommend the book to anybody who might be interested.

Danny

--

Omnis habet sua dona dies.
     ~ Martial