NOTES ON QUOTES: Losing Languages And Saving Mother Tongues (fwd link)

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sat Sep 1 23:06:11 UTC 2012

I was off ILAT for several days, got back this morning, and saw a
lot of concerns with numbers and quantity (and many other interesting
and inspiring discussions, as always). They made me stop to think, and
think about stops (how many days? how much...? ...they all seem to set a
boundary and hence limitation.).

Thank you, Richard, for offering
another time-space to think about continuation.

Jimmy

On Mon, 27 Aug
2012 13:50:30 -0500, Richard Zane Smith wrote:

> "one language dies
every 14 days"
> hmmmmmm...really?
> what happens when there is only 33
languages left? or 3 languages left? will they still die every 14
days?
> By these statistics, eventually, in time, even English and
Mandarin will be on the chopping block.
> each 14 days apart from
extinction of course.
> maybe by then we'll at least have some
silence...from statisticians

> statistics are weird.
>
> -Richard
>

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Phillip E Cash Cash wrote:

NOTES ON QUOTES: Losing Languages And Saving Mother Tongues

>> By
Gordon and Marcia Mercer, The Raleigh Telegram
>> USA
>>
>> RALEIGH -
"One language dies every 14 days," says Russ Rymer of the National
Geographic Society.

>> By most calculations there are between 6,000
and 7,000 languages on planet earth. There is fear, however, that by
beginning of the next century 50% to 80 % of existing languages will be
gone.

>> Reasons for the mass extinction often involve a larger
culture doing something, usually bad, to a smaller culture. In the
United States, for example, even into the 1950s, Native American Indian
children were punished at school for speaking in their native tongue.

>> Article Posted: Monday, August 27th, 2012.
>>
>> Access full
article below:
>> http://raleightelegram.com/201208273013 [1]
>
> --
>

> "Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from
there." - Gary Snyder

> richardzanesmith.wordpress.com [3]

__

Links: