Bundjalung language needs support (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 13 15:56:45 UTC 2012

*Bundjalung language needs support*

Javier Encalada | 13th September 2012 3:31 PM
AUS

CUSTODIANS of Widjabul country and elders of the Bundjalung nation have
made a call for support from the NSW Government to keep their language
alive in the Lismore area and the Northern Rivers.

A spokesperson for the Department of Aboriginal Affairs (DAA) said, "We
don't know exactly how many people speak Bundjalung, but it is probably
less than 50."

But elder June Gordon said there may be a bigger number of people who speak
the language and teach it to their families, but "there has been no
approach to the language speakers who teach it".

"We are concerned that our young people and our children, if they are not
taught the language, it will die and they will have no identity", she added.

Access full article below:
http://www.echonews.com.au/story/2012/09/13/bundjalung-language-needs-a-lighthouse/