Language more important than land - academic (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Sep 19 18:18:29 UTC 2012

The dispossession and ethnic cleansing by force and legal judicial action
by a wonderful new democratic society as USA
is a disturbing contradiction difficult to grasp. It still raises that
inner dark question of  "Are we somehow less human
to be disposed of so systematically by such a flag waving, cheering smiling
patriotic people?"

When a people with cyclical ceremonial life are removed form homelands and
placed on lands that are basically "foreign"
it is very difficult for land based ceremonies and life-ways to survive.
When my own ancestors surveyed lands in Kansas
prior to forced removal ,the scouts reported that the land was lacking in
maple trees, which were such a part of our lives.
To remove even one ceremony (as the Thanking of the Maples) one busy
cultural activity as sap harvesting, was to break a
spoke from the wheel of our highly fluid and active Lifeway circle within
which all seasons flowed together.
The Midwinter ceremonies themselves ceased when Oklahoma weather was found
so different than northern climates.
Adaption to that which is new is not the issue. The issue is an undermining
of land/mind/community/life-cycle.

So even when ceremonies do survive ,its within context of some distant
place....and some spoken distant past,
more of a memorial activity ...no longer representing the land and action
we now live with. A symbol is not reality itself,
and symbolic actions,even ceremonial activities, can easily become rituals
drifting from the reality of community living.
Combine relocation with the missionary drive to imbed into the hearts and
minds of children middle eastern creation stories,
and  frightening pictures of a "hell" for those who do not renounce their
pagan ways... we end up with a very mixed up tribal identity,
depression and a sense of worthlessness and betrayal. Betraying our
families if we convert, betraying modernity if we don't.

its difficult to write about, to express. I haven't read much on this
topic, yet.
i'm simply speaking from personal struggle,thoughts and observation.

ské:nǫh
Richard Zane Smith
(Sǫhahiyǫh)

--

 "…revitalizing our language is really just an act of returning to what we
are supposed to be. It is like a fish returning to the water, breathing and

 richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*