Action needed to help preserve Indigenous languages (fwd link)

Brookes, Tim brookes at CHAMPLAIN.EDU
Wed Sep 19 18:54:25 UTC 2012

Given your area of interest, your list members may be interested in this project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496420787/endangered-alphabets-ii-saving-languages-in-bangla

From: Phil Cash Cash <weyiiletpu at GMAIL.COM<mailto:weyiiletpu at GMAIL.COM>>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:21:08 -0400
To: "ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU<mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>" <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU<mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>>
Subject: [ILAT] Action needed to help preserve Indigenous languages (fwd link)

17 September 2012, 1.32pm AEST

Action needed to help preserve Indigenous languages

Language and Indigenous experts have welcomed a government report that recommends bilingual school education programs for Indigenous communities, saying it will benefit all Australians and help get some Indigenous languages off the endangered languages list.

The “Our Land Our Languages<http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=/atsia/languages2/report.htm>” report follows a 12-month inquiry by the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs.

The Committee considered the role of Indigenous languages to strengthening aboriginal identity and culture, and the benefits of including Indigenous languages in early education.

“Estimates show that at the time of colonisation there was an estimated 250 Australian indigenous languages being used and today there are about 18 languages,” the report’s authors write.

Access full article below:

http://theconversation.edu.au/action-needed-to-help-preserve-indigenous-languages-9631