Language more important than land - academic (fwd link)

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 25 17:35:46 UTC 2012

Taanshi,

As I read the posts, I am thankful that people are not only thinking about
the issue in deep ways but FEELING in deep ways too....

I echo sentiments that severing the ties of peoples to their lands and
traditional life ways will eventually lead to loss of language.    How can
our young people see a need to save/use our languages if we no longer
practice traditional spirituality, relationships, life ways, livelihoods,
etc. that our languages so wonderfully express? Why not just use English
(or some other "mainstream" language)?  If there is no intrinsic need
(expression of identity?), why would our children chose to learn/use our
languages which are often much more complicated learn/use than English (or
French, or Spanish, etc.)?

As some here have expressed, it is NOT an either/or choice when it comes to
language and land....  How can it be when our language, our songs, our
stories and our life ways have come forth from our living in certain places
and the relationships with have with them?  To me, saying that land is NOT
as important as language, is like saying grandmothers and grandfathers are
NOT as important to families as mothers, fathers and children....

As I do language work, I ponder how in our efforts we can better
preserve/maintain/restore/renew our connections to all our relations
(especially the land).   Like many activists before me, I keep coming back
to the importance creating more opportunities to be on/in/with the land and
"in community" and thus creating more opportunities to use our languages to
express relationships/experiences/feelings/ideas that we cannot adequately
express otherwise....

Eekoshi pitamaa.
Heathe
Michif (Metis),