Fwd: [Arcan-l] Reminder: Indigenous Archives Colloquium CFP

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 20:17:18 UTC 2013

Hi all,
This conference might be of interest to list members. It was forwarded to
me by an archivist friend.
Claire

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Anne Lindsay <malindsay at shaw.ca>
*Date:* August 13, 2013, 12:12:50 AM EDT
*To:* arcan-l at mailman.srv.ualberta.ca
*Subject:* *[Arcan-l] Reminder: Indigenous Archives Colloquium CFP*

Reminder: Call for Papers (please feel free to circulate)

"I have never forgotten his words": Talking about Indigenous Archives

A One-Day Colloquium on Saturday October 5, 2013

University of Manitoba

**Proposals due next Monday, August 19th, 2013**

“My father used to say to me, ‘Don’t think you know everything. You will
see lots of new things and you will find a place in your mind for them
all.’ My father was a very wise man and I have never forgotten his words.”
- William Berens

Indigenous people have maintained their own knowledge systems since time
before memory. Innovative, adaptive, relevant, and deeply reflective of the
values and needs of their creators, these systems have been challenged by
the colonial project and face new challenges and opportunities as
technology offers both potential benefits and possible risks.

This one-day colloquium is an invitation for people interested in
Indigenous archives from many points on the imaginative and thoughtful
compass to come together, to talk, to listen, and to think about Indigenous
archives.

We invite abstracts of 250 words from individuals, or in panels of three to
four individuals, for presentations on these and related topics. We welcome
presenters from all disciplines and members of the public with an interest
in Indigenous archiving, past, present, and future, to join us for this
engaging one-day Colloquium.

*Please note: In addition to proposals for papers, as many have contacted
us to inquire, we also invite submissions of diverse presentation styles,
including poster presentations, and will try to accommodate various A/V or
other technology when requested.*

Registration will be open September 1, 2013 through the UMIH website:

$25 for the day/$10 for students and underemployed

Topics might consider the following:

    -What are Indigenous archives? Who can define that? What does the act
of defining that say?

    -What has been done in the past to preserve memory and ways of knowing,
what is being done today?

    -What are the social, political, and personal stakes embedded in
archival traditions and archival innovations?

    -What are the relationships between self-determination and
self-determined archiving?

    -Is the media the message?

    -Is it true, as William J. Mitchell noted (quoted by Joan Schwartz:
Joan M. Schwartz, “‘We make our tools and our tools make us’: Lessons from
Photographs from the Practice, Politics and Poetics of Diplomatics,”
/Archivaria/, 40, Fall 1995, pp.40-74.) that "We make our tools and our
tools make us"?

*Deadline to submit: Monday August 19, 2013.*

Please send your abstract with a short /cv/ to umih at ad.umanitoba.ca.

This colloquium is organized by the University of Manitoba Institute for
the Humanities.

University of Manitoba Institute for the Humanities

407 Tier Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2

e. umih at ad.umanitoba.ca   p. 204-474-9599

umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/departments/humanities

Please don’t hesitate to be in touch with any questions, or if you need an
extension and intend to submit.

Thank you!

Anne Lindsay, Research Affiliate

Krista Walters, Assistant to the Director

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/departments/humanities/indigenousarchives.html

Institute for the Humanities

407 Tier Building

204-474-9599