Cherokee class preserves native NC language (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 21:37:56 UTC 2013

Cherokee class preserves native NC language
By Andy Willard <http://www.dailytarheel.com/staff/andy-willard> | The
Daily Tar Heel
*Updated:* 08/29/13 1:06am

UNC’s foreign language requirement is a misnomer for students taking
Cherokee classes — they are studying the only language offered by the
University that is native to North America.

Tom Belt, a visiting instructor of Cherokee at Western Carolina University,
said the classes were first offered at UNC in the fall of 2009 in an effort
to revitalize the language because it is close to dying out — there are
only a few hundred speakers in North Carolina.

“We would be here, still be Cherokees, but the central core of our culture
would be gone,” he said.

Access full article below:
http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/08/cherokee-0829