CN Translation Dept. translates Yale=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=archived documents (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 15:57:28 UTC 2013

*CN Translation Dept. translates Yale’s archived documents*

12/9/2013 4:05:53 PM
BY STAFF REPORTS

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. – The Cherokee Nation’s Language Translation Department –
which contracts with Apple, Microsoft, Google and Ivy League universities
for Cherokee translation projects – has been transcribing nearly 2,000
Cherokee handwritten documents at Yale’s Beinecke Library to catalogue and
eventually make public.

“Our speakers are taking Cherokee history, in the form of our language, and
preserving it for our future by incorporating our written alphabet into
smart phones and computer language settings, making it possible for our
youth to email entirely in Cherokee,” Principal Chief Bill John Baker said.
“They are one of our most valuable resources, not only passing on their
wisdom to our Cherokee immersion students learning to speak, but for our
future who will know more about our lives and way of thinking, revealed in
all these translated archived manuscripts.”
​
Access full article below:
​http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/Article/Index/7821