Idle No More: Where do we go from here? (A concise, compelling read that points a source of possible solutions written by a Cree-speaking Metis)

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 14 12:47:16 UTC 2013

Idle No More: Where do we go from
here?<http://apihtawikosisan.com/2012/12/26/idle-no-more-where-do-we-go-from-here/>

By *âpihtawikosisân (Chelsea Vowel*)
*"Assimilation policies failed because Aboriginal people have the secret of
cultural survival.  They have an enduring sense of themselves as peoples
with a unique heritage and the right to cultural continuity.*” *page x, A
Word From Commissioners<http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100014597#chp2>
*.

"You see…people really do sit down and identify the problems and try to
come up with solutions…and if you feel like you have no idea where to begin
to address these problems, then I want you to know that you have a good
place to start.  You don’t need to reinvent the wheel here folks.  So much
work has already been done to come up with practical solutions to
identifiable problems, and it’s a damn shame that most Canadians have never
read a single word published by this Royal Commission.  So let’s get to it,
shall we?"

For a concise, compelling read that points to a source of possible
solutions,  read on here:
http://apihtawikosisan.com/2012/12/26/idle-no-more-where-do-we-go-from-here/

Note on the author:* âpihtawikosisân* is Métis from the Plains Cree
speaking community of Lac Ste. Anne, Alberta. She currently lives in
Montreal, Quebec. Her passions are: education, Aboriginal law, the Cree
language, and roller derby. She holds a BEd, an LLB and teaches indigenous
youth.