What We Can Learn From the Guugu Yimithirr Language (fwd link)

Cash Cash, Phillip E - (cashcash) cashcash at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 26 22:18:07 UTC 2013

What We Can Learn From the Guugu Yimithirr Language

Kira Deutch

Do we see the world differently based on the language we speak? Linguistic relativity, a concept spearheaded by Benjamin Lee Whorf in the 1930s, claims that differences in language lead to differences in thought. Whorfians constantly question whether we are unable to think about things because we don't have the words for them, or if we lack the words for things because we don't think about them.

Access full article below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kira-deutch/guugu-yimithirr-language_b_3654917.html