Saving the language of the Lakota (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 22:25:01 UTC 2013

Saving the language of the Lakota

Tue Nov 5

Like many members of the Oglala Sioux Tribe on the Pine Ridge Reservation,
high school senior Kristian Big Crow never spoke his native Lakota language
as a child. With only 6,000 fluent Lakota speakers left in the world, there
are few opportunities for young Lakota students like Big Crow to learn the
language. Which is precisely why teachers and administrators at Red Cloud
Indian School, located just outside the town of Pine Ridge, spent the last
five years developing the nation’s first comprehensive K-12 Lakota language
curriculum.

Today, Lakota is spoken frequently across Red Cloud’s campus—and a new
generation of fluent Lakota speakers is emerging. Students like Big Crow
say learning Lakota has provided a deeper connection to Native identity.

“I was completely frightened to speak Lakota when I came to Red Cloud my
freshman year. But I feel so much more confident now,” explains Big Crow.
“Now even when I’m in Rapid City, my brother and I make a point of speaking
the language to each other. It makes us feel proud to be Lakota. Because of
the language program at Red Cloud, I have a better understanding of my
culture.”

Access full article below:
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/communities/chadron/saving-the-language-of-the-lakota/article_95282400-4652-11e3-871e-0019bb2963f4.html