Women Reclaim Cultural Knowledge in Northwestern Amazonia (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:19:15 UTC 2013

Women Reclaim Cultural Knowledge in Northwestern Amazonia

An hour before dawn, we landed at a small airstrip deep in the mountains of
the Colombian Amazon. This remote forest -- ringing with the sounds of
frogs, monkeys and parrots --seemed surreal, as did my reason for visiting.
Over the next five days, I would photograph the annual conference of the
region's female indigenous healers.

I traveled with Liliana Madrigal, Senior Director of Program Operations for
the Amazon Conservation Team (ACT) <http://www.amazonteam.org/>. Thanks to
nearly two decades of work with the region's indigenous communities, ACT
was asked to help organize a gathering of the region's women healers in
2004. Called ASOMI, short for *Asociacion de Mujeres Indigenas*, the
meeting was the first of its kind and presented a unique opportunity. After
years of cultural oppression from missionaries and increasing exploitation
of their forest, these women shamans and healers could now share -- and
therefore rebuild -- their traditional ecological and medicinal knowledge.
Access full article below:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amazon-conservation-team/women-reclaim-cultural-knowledge_b_4262675.html