USC Job Description

Resa C Bizzaro resa.bizzaro at iup.edu
Sat Nov 16 16:58:22 UTC 2013

Hi, everyone. I hope you are well, as the semester is nearly at its
close.

Scott Smith, from USC, asked me to share this job ad. I thought I'd
send it to this list in case someone here is interested or knows
someone else who is. Please feel free to share this message.

Wado,

Resa

The USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

announces openings for Full-Time Non-Tenure-Track Positions in Writing

The USC Writing Program in the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and
Sciences in Los Angeles, California, seeks qualified applicants for
full-time non-tenure-track teaching positions—Lecturer, Senior
Lecturer, Master Lecturer, Assistant Professor (Teaching), Associate
Professor (Teaching), and Professor (Teaching)—to join our faculty
beginning Fall 2014.

The Writing Program teaches courses that fulfill the undergraduate
writing requirement in a context informed by the rhetorical tradition,
process theory, and ethical discursive practices. First-year courses
develop students' writing and critical reasoning skills within
thematic contexts. Advanced courses, composed primarily of juniors and
seniors, bring students together based on their academic interests and
career goals, addressing writing in different disciplines for various
audiences. Small class sizes in both first-year and upper-level
courses facilitate a workshop model of instruction, frequent
one-on-one and small-group conferencing, and an emphasis on the
writing process.

Full-time non-tenure-track faculty teach three sections each semester,
for which they will develop syllabi and assignments in accordance with
program guidelines. The Writing Program also provides significant
opportunities for professional growth and development. Faculty are
eligible to participate in program, college, and university
governance. New faculty will join a vibrant community of teachers,
writers, and scholars composed of faculty and graduate students from a
range of disciplines.

The Writing Program hopes to hire faculty interested in making a
career of teaching writing at USC. Initial appointments are
fixed-term, with the possibility of renewal contingent on performance
and review by the program faculty, its directors, and the college
deans. Dornsife provides opportunities for promotion based on
demonstrated teaching excellence and service to the program, school,
and university.

Qualifications

Candidates should have a PhD or other terminal degree by June 2014. We
require demonstrated excellence in teaching writing at the college
level and we value familiarity with the needs of writers whose first
language is not English. While many of our faculty have scholarly
backgrounds in English Literature or Rhetoric and Composition, we
welcome candidates from all fields.

Application Procedure

The deadline for applications is December 2, 2013. Applicants should
submit a letter of application, CV, teaching evaluations and the names
of three referees who can speak to teaching abilities. The referees
will be contacted directly by USC. In order to be considered for this
position, applicants are required to submit an electronic USC
application; follow this job link or paste in a browser:

https://jobs.usc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=72646

Visit www.usc.edu to discover more about USC. The University of
Southern California strongly values diversity and is committed to
equal opportunity in employment. Women and men, and members of all
racial and ethnic groups, are encouraged to apply.