Fwd: FW: Witness Pieces of History National Commemorative Project

Aliana Parker alianaparker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 21:45:50 UTC 2013

Hello all,
Please see forwarded message. My apologies for any cross-postings.
Thank you,
Aliana Parker

Hello,

Please accept this e-postcard and brochure about our national Indian
Residential School Commemorative project, “Witness: Pieces of History.”
They are an introduction to The Witness Blanket project that we hope you
will be part of and share. Momentum is building as more and more people
take part in making this national monument to reconciliation a reality.
Inspired by a woven blanket, Master Carver Carey Newman is creating a
large-scale art installation from items reclaimed from Residential Schools,
churches, government buildings and traditional and cultural structures
including Friendship Centres, Band Offices, treatment centres and
universities, from across Canada.
The Witness Blanket will stand as a national monument to recognize the
atrocity of the Indian Residential School era, honour the children and
symbolize ongoing reconciliation.
People from all across Canada of all faiths, ethnicities and generations
are called upon to participate.  We are looking for wood, shingles, brick,
glass, metal, books, photographs and other materials from Residential
School sites and affiliated structures including churches, courthouses,
government buildings and traditional and cultural structures.  Our goal is
to collect 2,500 Pieces of History for our blanket.

*“I conceived the Witness Blanket to not only honour my father, but also to
leave a legacy for my daughter, so that her generation may continue this
journey toward healing and reconciliation” **~ Carey Newman*

As a project team, we are crossing the country, visiting each province and
territory, on Gathering Trips collecting contributions.  Recent “Pieces of
History” we’ve received range from a sandstone block from the Red Deer
Industrial School – which Canada’s first Aboriginal Lieutenant Governor
attended – to a piece of historic stained glass from the St. Mary’s Indian
Band, brought to the Kootenay’s from Italy 150 years ago.

*Here’s how you can help and be part of the project:*·         Contribute a
piece of History to the Witness Blanket
·         Promote the project within your own community or organization
·         Act as a Community Champion for the project and work with others
in your community to contribute pieces to the blanket
·         Add a link to our project website on your own community or
organization website
·         Share our project far and wide via Facebook and Twitter
·         Tell others about our work, in your community, your organization
or your family.

We are happy to support your participation in any of the ways listed above.
 If you are interested, please let us know how you would like to contribute
to the project and we can move forward from there.

If you require any further information about the Witness: Pieces of History
project please do not hesitate to contact us. You can call the office toll
free at 1 (855) 888-6998, email us at info at witnessblanket.ca <
mailto:info at witnessblanket.ca <info at witnessblanket.ca>> , visit our website
www.witnessblanket.ca <http://www.witnessblanket.ca> or follow our progress
on Facebook (Witness Blanket) and Twitter (@WitnessBlanket).

Thank you very much for your consideration!

Rosy Steinhauer
Project Coordinator
Witness: Pieces of History

PS:  If you don’t have a Piece of History to contribute yourself, please
help us spread the word and share this email and our e-postcard with your
community, your family and online.  Thank you.