Award will honor memory of Athabascan elder Katie John

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 20:57:01 UTC 2013

Award will honor memory of Athabascan elder Katie John
​
FAIRBANKS - Athabascan elder Katie John was known publicly for her
determination and eventual success in fighting for indigenous subsistence
rights, and by her large, extended family for her traditional teachings,
humor, gentle spirit and loving ways.

John died early May 31 with family members at her side at the Alaska Native
Medical Center in Anchorage. She was 97 years old and resided at Mentasta
Lake until shortly before her death.

“Katie John’s example will inspire generations to come,” said Alaska
Federation of Native President Julie Kitka, in a statement. “Her name will
be our rallying cry, to stand up for our subsistence rights, and to nurture
our languages and traditions.”

​Access full article below:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/afn/award-will-honor-memory-of-athabascan-elder-katie-john/article_97073712-3a80-11e3-82e8-001a4bcf6878.html
​