=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8BThe_Case_for_Language_Learning=E2=80=8B_?=(fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 20:14:53 UTC 2013

​The Case for Language Learning​

*Don't neglect the UK's indigenous languages*
Yes, we should learn French and German – but we shouldn't ignore our
indigenous languages

Rhona NicDhùghaill
theguardian.com, Tuesday 29 October 2013 05.41 EDT

Would you be surprised if I told you that, far from being a land of
monoglots, there are ten indigenous
languages<http://www.theguardian.com/education/languages> spoken
today in the British Isles? Yet we are very quick to tell ourselves that
we're rubbish at languages. We are linguistically isolated monoglots,
marooned on a cluster of islands on the edge of the Atlantic. If we were in
the mix of mainland Europe, we tell ourselves, we'd be blethering away in
at least two languages.
​

Access full article below:
​