Nigeria: Indigenous Languages Endangered As National Identity Fades Away (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:15:14 UTC 2013

Nigeria: Indigenous Languages Endangered As National Identity Fades AwayBY
FLORENCE AMAGIYA AND ADERONKE ADEYERI, 6 SEPTEMBER 2013

Today, many indigenous languages have become endangered and would probably
go into extinction if nothing is done to save the situation. The young
people who are supposed to champion the preservation of the indigenous
languages are mostly not in tune with their native dialects.

English language has become the language in many homes to the detriment of
the indigenous language. Saturday Vanguard spoke with some young adults to
find out their proficiencies in their mother tongue.

Sylvester Azubuike, a 16 year old, graduate from Okota Grammar School told
Saturday Vanguard:

"I don't speak my indigenous language because my parents didn't speak the
language to me while I was growing up. I know speaking my language very
well would have helped me a lot and perhaps I would have had something to
give to my own children in future. My advice to other parents is to teach
their children their indigenous language because it gives them identity."

Access full article below:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201309090804.html