Culture is key for Aboriginal youth (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:24:42 UTC 2014

25 APR 2014 - 5:37PM

Culture is key for Aboriginal youth
*Suicide rates in Australia's Indigenous youth are among the highest in the
world. In the Sydney suburb of La Perouse, charity organisation First Hand
Solutions is convinced it has part of the answer.*

By
Ella Archibald-Binge

Nestled on the headland of Botany Bay, the La Perouse community has not
been protected from the issues plaguing much of Indigenous Australia.

Peter Cooley of charity organisation First Hand Solutions said the
community had a lot to tackle.

"We've seen our youth in and out of juvenile detention centres and sadly
we've experienced our young people committing suicide," he said.

"I'm a big believer, through my experience of working with youth, that it's
this dispossession of culture that is playing a part there somewhere."

A new report by the University of New South Wales supported Mr Cooley's
theory.

​Access full article below:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/04/25/culture-key-aboriginal-youth​