grad programs in documentation

Judy Thompson jt at citytel.net
Wed Apr 30 02:17:08 UTC 2014

Hi Phil,

I know exactly what you mean!  It is hard for people to uproot their family to attend university, especially if they need to leave their territory, the very home of the language they want to revitalize.

I think the Master's program in Indigenous Language Revitalization at the University of Victoria tries to find a middle ground with that.  The first summer, the students need to be in Victoria for one month. After that, the students return home (to teach, work with fluent speakers, raise families, etc) and every two months, they travel back to Victoria for 6 days to do course work.  For the rest of the time, I believe that they interact with their professors and fellow students online and other modes of communication.

I'm not affiliated with this program, but UVic is my Alma mater and I know many of the wonderful people who are part of UVic's Indigenous Education Program!

Judy Thompson, Ph.D.
Tahltan Language & Culture Lead