VALLEY TRIBE TURNS TO TECHNOLOGY TO PRESERVE ANCIENT LANGUAGE (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 15:48:31 UTC 2014

*VALLEY TRIBE TURNS TO TECHNOLOGY TO PRESERVE ANCIENT LANGUAGE*
By Linda Mumma

Friday, August 01, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --

An ancient language once spoken by a Foothill and Valley Native American
tribe is rebounding from the verge of extinction.

Over the last six years, Chukchansi speakers have compiled a dictionary and
efforts are now underway to teach the language to young tribal members.

"Our language has died off so I don't want to bury it," said Tribal Elder
Holly Wyatt. "There's not many speakers still around. If our generation
goes, it will just go."

Tribal members said the language is one of the most difficult to master.

"The way you use your mouth, your tongue, it's hard," said Wyatt.

​Access full article below:
http://abc30.com/education/valley-tribe-turns-to-technology-to-preserve-ancient-language/234736/
​