Language Is Key to Culture: Seneca Fight to Save Theirs (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:19:51 UTC 2014

*Language Is Key to Culture: Seneca Fight to Save Theirs*

ICTMN Staff
<http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/advanced/search?fq%5B0%5D=ts_field_full_name%3AICTMN%20Staff>

8/6/14

In the three Seneca territories in Western New York there are just 30
elders who speak the language fluently—10 years ago there were 200 fluent
speakers, reports WGRZ
<http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/wny/2014/08/02/wgrz-seneca-language/13502063/>
.

The Seneca Nation of Indians is trying to change that and save their
language starting with the youth. Kids attending Faith Keepers School in
Steamburg, New York, learn about Seneca tradition, culture and are taught
the language through activities. During varsity and junior varsity lacrosse
games in Gowanda, you’ll hear the games being announced in Seneca by eighth
grade students. According to WGRZ, they are the first school in Western New
York to announce games like that.

There’s a bigger push to preserve the language because our elders are
dying,” teacher Rachael Wolfe told WGRZ. “It’s urgent... We’re at an
emergency status as far as our language is concerned.”

Access full article below:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/08/06/language-key-culture-seneca-fight-save-theirs-156262